Friday, March 30, 2012

It takes a TEAM to Accomplish Victory!

Many times we've heard the phrase "there is to I in team". However, there is a "me" in the word team and I know that I would not be my best me this week if it were not for the people supporting me throughout this challenging journey. 

At the beginning of this week my mother drove up from Lake Charles to support me. She's been here for every session to count my laps and even helped me with a few personal errands and opportunities as I continue to work full time and do everything else that I would typically do during the week. I'm grateful for her and I know that I wouldn't be able to continue to perform at my best without her support. 

Pictured below is my mother and I next to the pool at Centenary College where I am swimming all of my laps. This picture was taken on Wednesday, March 28th, 2012. 



Another person that I must recognize is my best friend, my girlfriend Jess. Despite the commitments she's had this week with working full time and with graduate school (amongst other things) she's been with me at the pool every night this week. She's been counting my laps alongside my mother and when my Mom drove home to Lake Charles this afternoon, Jess took over counting laps for me today. 

Pictured below is Jess and I at my 2nd swim on Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 at the Centenary College pool. 



Another person I must mention is my Coach Janet Martin. I would not have been physically ready for this week without her. I am the swimmer that I am today largely because of Janet and her work with me.

There are others who've supported me along the way and have helped to make a positive impact on me throughout this journey as well. Without naming more names, I simply want to say "thank you" to you as well for your support.

As I continue to reach for 15,000 yards I am grateful to report that I am 2,200 yards away from my goal and that in 4 days time I have swam a total of 12,800 yards. With swims totaling 1,500 yards, 1,600 yards, 1,300 yards and 1,400 yards since Tuesday, I am patiently swimming closer to completing my goal.

I am thankful to have come so far and I believe that with determination and unwavering focus that I will reach my goal. In the end I know this wasn't just about me. I know I was the one swimming, but I also know and appreciate the fact that it took a team of people supporting me and encouraging me throughout this process that helped me to reach for my goal. Again, its not over yet, but at least at this point I can clearly see the light at the end of the tunnel.